I had a failed firmware 51 update via NSU where it stalled for 2 hours or so with 1 sec. left.

I received the desktop charger today and currently charging the battery.I want to reflash as soon as the battery is fully charged.

Can I revert the phone to firmware 42 or 44? My reason is I've been reading about people having problems when updated their n900 to the current firmware 51.

you can re-flash the phone with a older revision, sure.

Note that going backwards will disable the ability to use the cellular modem until you move back to 51. The cellular modem's firmware was patched with the release and isn't compatible with the older version.

Also, I suggest looking up flasher-3.5 and using it with a FIASCO image instead of NSU, as most people having flashing issues seem to be either low on root space or used NSU.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Good point on the cellular firmware..I had forgotten about that.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Additionally I would say that when flashing try to use usb ports directly from your computer. Do not use usb hubs. Its also good practice to minimize devices that are attached to usbs when doing flashing.

And when using cmd-line flasher-3.5 you should quite from all the other nokia software.

And remember to charge battery full before trying flashing

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Note that going backwards will disable the ability to use the cellular modem until you move back to 51. The cellular modem's firmware was patched with the release and isn't compatible with the older version.

Also, I suggest looking up flasher-3.5 and using it with a FIASCO image instead of NSU, as most people having flashing issues seem to be either low on root space or used NSU.
what is a FIASCO image? I'm not familiar with this. is this the one where you type the IMEI and will give a firmware versions to download?
I already downloaded the flasher before but unformtunately when I was trying to flash the phone it will not go through. i was told that maybe the battery was too weak already and it can only be charge through a desktop charger since phone will not charge it if the OS is not working.

What's with the phone modem with regards to going back to old firmware? I don't understand?

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Additionally I would say that when flashing try to use usb ports directly from your computer. Do not use usb hubs. Its also good practice to minimize devices that are attached to usbs when doing flashing.

And when using cmd-line flasher-3.5 you should quite from all the other nokia software.

And remember to charge battery full before trying flashing

Now I have an idea why reflash failed last time. maybe because the software updater icon was still on the tray or still have it in the backgound. Could also be due to weak battery.

I tried reflashing several times but wouldn't go through.

I don't have external USB.

It's been an hour since I started charging and battery's not full yet. Battery was probably drained. Hoping to revive the phone.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Bugslife View Post
Can I revert the phone to firmware 42 or 44?
Beg Nokia to give you a package named cmt-firmware-rx51 version 8.2.2009.3.4.3-2+0m5

It should be installed after downgrade to reinstall your cellphone firmware - it was changed by 51.1.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Beg Nokia to give you a package named cmt-firmware-rx51 version 8.2.2009.3.4.3-2+0m5

It should be installed after downgrade to reinstall your cellphone firmware - it was changed by 51.1.
Have you tried asking them for this firmware?

TAKE CARE:
After updating he new firmware, i did the story of reverting my phone to the original firmware (42 i think) and the result was that my n900 didnt detect my sim card (i got the sim icon with a red cross above the screen). The only solution was to re update the phone with the 2 recent new firmwares (the 21 mega and the 90 mega).