Notices

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I just tryed www.flashearth.com on my N900, and it works great. It's stuff like this that makes up for missing apps on the N900. Works really well too on my device.

Here's a youtube video about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGUqshs6bKA

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
While all you people are arguing about apps and games, you all seem to be forgetting that the N900 is not yet a fully functional mobile with many many problems still to be addressed such as the simple task of checking your balance and top-up etc, seems to me that the games and apps available for now are either childish rubbish or outdated taking us back to the ZX81 era almost. Please guys lets realise one thing here and you will soon find out the N900 will be very quickly replaced with a new version (thanks to the usb connector prob which is impossible to get around without a re-design) and also Nokia being very very slow to update to get even a fully functional mobile telephone !. Sorry to say but we have simply wasted £500 on a device Nokia brought out far far too early using US once again as guinea pigs to enable them to make a decent mobile.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I like my N900 but all the fierce defenders in the community just as bad as the whiners. The whole "if you want app x then make it" and "it's not a phone its a computer" thing is a load of ****. Nokia is marketing the N900 as a high-end phone (or tablet or mobile computer or whatever you want to call it) and people are going to buy it because of that. The other really annoying one is that "it's a new OS/platform", please don't say that ever.

Granted, if you look through the Nokia product page there isn't much said about apps at all, and the screens are all carefully loaded with weblinks, etc. You have to realize its not crazy for people to think they are apps.

The meanness that I see from community members is really disgusting and has been getting worse of late. I can understand frustration with new users coming here, often being rude and complaining. Just don't read the thread. If you do have to read the thread just don't respond. Maybe you could point them to the Maemo gestures demo page so they can learn how to use the browser in a useful way with desktop web pages.

If I was less computer savvy and hadn't been on TMO for a while I would open up my N900, hit the facebook or twitter link and go WTF is this? It'd seem like you'd need one of these to use your device:

So when you go to a thread like this, sure it may not be very pleasing to see another complaining end-user, but don't act like a ****ing *******. We don't need 10-15-20 people spamming nasty comments towards an OP.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
I'm going to mostly disagree.

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
Nokia is marketing the N900 as a high-end phone (or tablet or mobile computer or whatever you want to call it) and people are going to buy it because of that.
So, it's okay for consumers to be ignorant childish sheep? Nokia has a marketing arm: They do marketing. Users have the internet: They can get answers quickly: "Does the n900 currently support different phone rings per contact?" If you want to continue to apologize for people that buy a $600 n900 as an impulse buy, go ahead, but you're gonna get very little support around here. Even if the majority chooses to be silent.

The other really annoying one is that "it's a new OS/platform", please don't say that ever.
Denial much? Stop reading then, 'cause I'm gonna say it: "It's a new OS/platform." Am I lying?

Granted, if you look through the Nokia product page there isn't much said about apps at all, and the screens are all carefully loaded with weblinks, etc. You have to realize its not crazy for people to think they are apps.
You and me found some common ground. I'm just not sure how important it is, and I'm not sure Nokia ever said they had a dedicated Facebook app. I'm happy to be wrong here. Maybe Nokia just thinks their browser kicks a*s. But I also think Facebook is bloated crap. I try my best to use local style sheets for sites that I frequent that suck at the internet.

Even so, I think a really sh*t hot FOSS web app is in order. So instead of individual apps, we would have well maintained configuration files. And I think there are firefox plugins for such things. But this issue is far from dead and I see an end solution having nothing to do with the browser. All of the protocols, markup, style and scripting languages are open. And didn't you hear? IE 6 might be dead! Good times ahead.

The meanness that I see from community members is really disgusting and has been getting worse of late.
You're human; you see what you want to see. Doesn't make your opinion true. I see just the opposite. Who's right?

I can understand frustration with new users coming here, often being rude and complaining. Just don't read the thread.If you do have to read the thread just don't respond.
Sorry, some of us really like it here. We don't mind calling attention to unnecessary anti-social behavior whenever we feel like it. Just sit back, three things will happen with no involvement from you:
  • We'll identify trolls
  • A*sholes who can't consistently behave themselves will be gone
  • A*sholes who want to stay will have to fix themselves.

I'm in the third category and I'm still working on it.

Maybe you could point them to the Maemo gestures demo page so they can learn how to use the browser in a useful way with desktop web pages.
You seem to be targeting the core group, we generally know what to do, but we like it when people get invloved and try to help others. You should be more discriminating and stop wasting your time trying to fix those that are comfortable around here. "More action, less words" is the unspoken motto. Council election nominations are now open. Go for it! Basically what goes on here is a form of unsupervised clustering; it fixes itself. Not much different than the rest of the internet.

If I was less computer savvy and hadn't been on TMO for a while I would open up my N900, hit the facebook or twitter link and go WTF is this? It'd seem like you'd need one of these to use your device:
Same Web answer as above.

So when you go to a thread like this, sure it may not be very pleasing to see another complaining end-user, but don't act like a ****ing *******. We don't need 10-15-20 people spamming nasty comments towards an OP.
Whether the OP is a troll or not might still be up for debate, and I try hard not to condone inappropriate behavior from anyone, but the OP left little doubt that they're trollish. I will shed no tears and lose no sleep.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
please define:

Real Application??

Cheap *** Game? Farting Sound Box? 75 variants of Solatire??.....

oh oh...

What about another Lemmings Games, Yessss just what we need.

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
please define:

Real Application??

Cheap *** Game? Farting Sound Box? 75 variants of Solatire??.....

oh oh...

What about another Lemmings Games, Yessss just what we need.
Can you point me to one basic version of solitaire for the n900?

Thanks.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
Can you point me to one basic version of solitaire for the n900?

Thanks.

goto ovi. you can download it now for free.

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
And to all of you who complain that the iPhone as a lot of useless apps might want to look at the Ovi store. Out of the top 6 recommended apps, two of them are Candle Touch (an app where all you do it light a candle) and Level Touch (an app that acts as a level). So please stop using this as a reason why the n900 apps are better.

EDIT: And let's not forget Coin Toss Touch and Mirror Ball Touch. The n900 has pointless apps just like the iPhone.

Last edited by kbeeveer46; 2010-03-04 at 21:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbeeveer46 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NaSr View Post
i cant find a god damn useful app...where;s the ****..??
shazam, some cool games instead of the old dos crap, complete hot themes with unlock figures..??

oh....plz ,,****kken block me ,,like there;s something to miss....with ur lame asss themes.....i think i will consider ur advice..?!!

midomi or shazam...
better youtube integration..
car racing games....
all za apps are outdated...and all users are comin; on ma asss...like they've got futuristic apps...plz if some has the real shitt, enlighten me..

Well.. Do you?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to That One Guy For This Useful Post:
So I thought I'd write a few apps for N900, but I discovered it already has everything I need, so now I'm just going to use it and have fun instead.

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software