Notices

is there any chance of getting more documentation on the code?
thanks in advance

Can't wait to see some plugins to insert this into the browser eg as a google search. Would also like to see a plugin that does a google search to find a dominant result and then plugs that result into another search. Is the plugin structure/API defined? I've almost got enough of a hankering for this functionality to try my hand at it.

Originally Posted by saiph View Post
is there any chance of getting more documentation on the code?
thanks in advance
The main focus lately has been to port mbarcode to Qt and to get a plugin framework up and running. I guess this has come to the price of less source commenting. Now that those things are ready, I'll try to get around and comment more of the source code. Just watch for changes in the svn-tree the coming days.

Feel free to contact me and lardman if you want to contribute to the project

Originally Posted by dragon_788
Can't wait to see some plugins to insert this into the browser eg as a google search. Would also like to see a plugin that does a google search to find a dominant result and then plugs that result into another search. Is the plugin structure/API defined? I've almost got enough of a hankering for this functionality to try my hand at it.
1D barcodes seldom return any results since they are not listed in too many places. QR codes containing text could of course be used for searches, but I haven't seen any codes that would be useful for searches yet. What kind of things would you like to be inserted to the browser to do Google searches?

The plugin API is not frozen yet, but there will most likely not be too many changes in the future (maybe some renaming of functions). The API doesn't have any documentation yet, but you could have a look at the interfaces and abstract classes here:

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...=maemo-barcode

If you would like an example I would suggest that you look at the plugins here:

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...=maemo-barcode

Plugin1d is only an example of a 1D plugin although it is not really usable for anything.

Good luck with your coding! And don't hesitate to ask

The Following User Says Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Noob question inc.....

What is the purpouse/future purpose of this? am I right in thinking that this only scans and tells you the information contained in the Barcode? Is it supposed to return more? When I click get opinion i get no results. Is this something of a database that is only made up of user input?

Originally Posted by dragly View Post
1D barcodes seldom return any results since they are not listed in too many places.
Actually, I don't agree, because whenever I tried googling an EAN, I got at least a few interesting hits.

Tilman

Originally Posted by Rapparee View Post
Noob question inc.....

What is the purpouse/future purpose of this? am I right in thinking that this only scans and tells you the information contained in the Barcode? Is it supposed to return more? When I click get opinion i get no results. Is this something of a database that is only made up of user input?
The future purpose is to give the user more information about any kind of barcode. This could be pricing, reviews, background information and more. The application is built so that it relies heavily on plugins to gather more information about the code.

You are correct about that "Get opinion" is (currently) only populated from user input. This version of the application was released only a few days ago, and was the first to include the Informed Individual plugin. That is why there aren't really any opinions about anything yet. Please beware that the plugin is in early development and thus is very unstable. In other words: Data saved with it might be lost when the server is being upgraded.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tvogel View Post
Actually, I don't agree, because whenever I tried googling an EAN, I got at least a few interesting hits.

Tilman
You might be right. I've only tried to look up a few barcodes with no results. Maybe it could be useful with a web search plugin. I might have a look at it if I get the time.

What kind of products gave you results on Google?

Originally Posted by dragly View Post
The future purpose is to give the user more information about any kind of barcode. This could be pricing, reviews, background information and more. The application is built so that it relies heavily on plugins to gather more information about the code.

You are correct about that "Get opinion" is (currently) only populated from user input. This version of the application was released only a few days ago, and was the first to include the Informed Individual plugin. That is why there aren't really any opinions about anything yet. Please beware that the plugin is in early development and thus is very unstable. In other words: Data saved with it might be lost when the server is being upgraded.
Any plans to use the front camera? would be handy

Any chance this "app" could become more of an HID type driver that could be activated by a half press of the camera button when you have text box highlighted where it will recognize the barcode and enter it into the form automatically?

DVD barcodes are pretty reliable to test as a web lookup. They should come up if you search directly on Amazon, otherwise Google will usually show it up in a product search. I'll see if I can find the site again that attempts to document UPCs/EAN codes, as they are supposed to be unique unless they are an "internal only" code.

Last edited by dragon_788; 2010-04-04 at 20:16.

Originally Posted by arono View Post
Any plans to use the front camera? would be handy
I haven't seen any documentation on how to use the front camera, but I guess that could be used as well. However, wouldn't it be a problem to aim the camera when you are covering the screen with whatever you are trying to scan?

Another problem will probably be the image quality. Barcode scanning requires quite good quality, and I don't think the front camera would be good enough. And I think it lacks focusing, which is an even bigger issue.

Tags
barcode, camera, mbarcode