Notices

Hmm... Will try out the timidity solution first... Though GamboyRMH's solution also deserves a sticky...

On a side note, how have you guys mapped the keys? Accelemymote seems to be funky last I checked, it went everywhere and then stopped working.

Funny that a great solution might be to map the mouse-touchscreen controls to be CENTERED somewhere around the bottom right corner somehow, acting like a virtual thumbstick so to speak.

Right now, depending on awkwardly placed fingers and weird keyboard mappings to prevent finger cramps lol.

EDIT: egads, Duke3D-Timidity is 14 megs large. Hope its optified.

Last edited by eiraku; 2010-05-14 at 18:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiraku For This Useful Post:
There's no nice way to set the controls. I use IJKL for yaw/pitch, WASD for vertical/horizontal strafe, Z and X for roll, Q and E for primary and secondary weapons, and the volume rocker for forward/reverse.

And it seems that the Duke3D-Timidity package did the trick. MIDI music working fabulously, no sound fx stutters, no nothing (except the occasional Timidity rendering oddness).

Funny that I don't have to install any other parts of Duke3D. Hmm, maybe the Timidity package is, well, just Timidity?

Getting into Lvl1 and hearing the music play, I realized that the guy a few pages back was right: Descent isn't Descent without the MIDI music.

Also, there seems to be some weird bug causing the menu music NOT to play after starting D1X. After you get into a game it's all dandy and exiting to the menu starts the menu music fine.

Plus the Timidity package ate up all of 1MB from rootfs...

Funny that D1X is running better on the N900 then it ever did on my old Ubuntu box (never got Timidity to run back then. Had to resort to MP3s).

Now lets squash them bugs and get to D2X!

EDIT 1: Ladies and gents, we've got ourselves a bug with the Timidity solution.

Try it on level 2, around 2-3 minutes into the level, the music (I'm sure, as I tried it WHILE being fragged by some of the orange bots, and a second time while hiding in the spawn room) triggers a high pitched whistling sound that persists until you:

1) Finish the level
2) Abort the mission or
3) Go mad.

It's there in level three as well, only a tad further in. Reproducibility is a 100%, I've done a couple of runs through levels 2 and 3 and it happens every time.

Bug in the Timidity sample set? Don't know.

Will try out the OGG solution next.

Last edited by eiraku; 2010-05-14 at 19:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiraku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiraku View Post
Plus the Timidity package ate up all of 1MB from rootfs...
Wow, that's actually a lot for one package

I'll have to try it when it's optified, the quality should be better than the rips.

EDIT 1: Ladies and gents, we've got ourselves a bug with the Timidity solution.

Try it on level 2, around 2-3 minutes into the level, the music (I'm sure, as I tried it WHILE being fragged by some of the orange bots, and a second time while hiding in the spawn room) triggers a high pitched whistling sound that persists until you:

1) Finish the level
2) Abort the mission or
3) Go mad.

It's there in level three as well, only a tad further in. Reproducibility is a 100%, I've done a couple of runs through levels 2 and 3 and it happens every time.

Bug in the Timidity sample set? Don't know.

Will try out the OGG solution next.
Yep known bug in Timidity:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoon...tion=printpage

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Yep known bug in Timidity:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoon...tion=printpage
Proposed solution? http://welltemperedstudio.wordpress....oblems-solved/

Anyhow, does the N900 port of D1X supports MP3 as it does Oggs? Or does the Jukebox function need to be enabled first?

And is it internal or do I need to install Ogg codecs into my N900?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I tried Zeemote and it works, but not very playable since the steering keys are 6, not 4... Maybe better than the keyboard though...

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Interresting results, did you have significantly lower framerates with timidity music? (the -fps parameter will show it)

On a side note, how have you guys mapped the keys? Accelemymote seems to be funky last I checked, it went everywhere and then stopped working.
I prefer Accelemymote, my settings are:
offset_pitch = 35
max_roll = 25
max_pitch = 25
Turning the phone upside down will disable Accelemymote, so maybe that's why it stopped working?
My other keymappings are the ones that are set as defaults in D1X-Rebirth now.

Funny that a great solution might be to map the mouse-touchscreen controls to be CENTERED somewhere around the bottom right corner somehow, acting like a virtual thumbstick so to speak.
That's a nice idea for the touchsceen-users, maybe I can get that into the next release.

Anyhow, does the N900 port of D1X supports MP3 as it does Oggs? Or does the Jukebox function need to be enabled first?

And is it internal or do I need to install Ogg codecs into my N900?
You have to install the codecs, I think libsmpeg0 is needed for mp3 playback.

Thanks to everyone for your anwers, will try around with the music-thingy when I have some time

Last edited by LordNelson; 2010-05-14 at 21:27.

Hmm, will do some more testing in regards of MIDI vs Ogg performance impact.

As for the virtual thumbstick idea, centering it above the secondary weapons monitor seems to be a good bet, because a point of reference is needed.

Ideally, we could have a semi-transparant overlay ala iphone controls to do this, but it might not be that easy to put elements like that into the game file.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
i cannot get this to run......... followed instructions on 1st post..