Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
ovi store has approx. 50k apps, so its possible that 20k of them are made with Qt. I doubt though so many will be ported to meego in this short time.
as long as they ujse qt and not some wierd symbian SDK it should be very easy port from symbian to harmattan its almost a buldstep

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
Everything is right with the device, but everything is wrong with how its coming out.
This statement couldn't ring more true. Been thinking about how this release have been (mis)handled, as well as the community news unveiled today has done nothing more than to dampen any community spirits about the N9.

Yet, that doesn't push WP7 to us folks here at TMO either.

Seems way too calculated.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This statement couldn't ring more true. Been thinking about how this release have been (mis)handled, as well as the community news unveiled today has done nothing more than to dampen any community spirits about the N9.

Yet, that doesn't push WP7 to us folks here at TMO either.

Seems way too calculated.
I assume you're talking about this news:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...30#post1062830
...In case somebody reading this thread didn't see it--I didn't know about it until you pointed it out just now... it's not really advertised too clearly.
...And again, I feel sadly vindicated for all my cynicism. Good job, Nokia. Keep f***ing that chicken, arseholes.

Edit: I'm still trying to catch up to the thread, but the more I read the more ambiguous the blame seems to be turning out. Is it Intel's fault? Linux Foundation's? Nokia's? I still get the sense that, in the long run, it still seems to be Nokia's fault for the situation. Hmm...
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-03 at 02:28.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm still trying to catch up to the thread, but the more I read the more ambiguous the blame seems to be turning out. Is it Intel's fault? Linux Foundation's? Nokia's? I still get the sense that, in the long run, it still seems to be Nokia's fault for the situation. Hmm...
Mind you, I might be wholly incorrect, but my take is that the Linux Foundation made the call to not house any software, be it from vendor or community derived.

In a lot of ways, I can understand that. But I don't get why Meego.com didn't have some contingency plan or why some other similar mechanism was not in place for this type of scenario.

And without knowing how Intel AppUp, Ovi Store or something else that may have been planned but not yet released has been affected, this puts TMO on its deathbed more quickly than before, makes MeeGo.com more about talk (commiseration?) than about repositories and inducing file sharing/code contributions, what does this truly mean to MeeGo?

So... yeah. This basically was the undercuts of undercuts in Maemo 6, MeeGo (as far as Nokia is concerned) and has effectively made the N9 a true island, one release, never probably to get MeeGo 1.3 in October officially type of affair.

Hell. Now I'm more willing to buy one out of sheer curiosity and out of my OCD to complete the Maemo line.

I'm quite sure more intelligent people than myself will sort this out, state it for what it is... I just don't see how this bodes well for anything Maemo or Nokia based MeeGo. But I can admit being horribly short-sighted at this juncture of time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I'm glad I didn't buy an N900, more and more every day. ...I might have to say the same about watching the N9 go by, too. Nokia, you idiots. Get your head on straight already and do something right for a fscking change.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm glad I didn't buy an N900, more and more every day.
pfft, even I purchased one. Also sold it for more than paid for it.

...I might have to say the same about watching the N9 go by, too. Nokia, you idiots. Get your head on straight already and do something right for a fscking change.
I'm starting to see how each step, each piece of hype around the N9 has been undercut. Announce the N9, "leak" Sea Ray. Don't release the N9 in: Germany, France, USA, Spain and only via Expansys in the UK but launch it in Kazakhstan... yeah, makes a whole lot of ****ing sense...

If you want it to fail.

I'm actually shocked past my even typical pessimism to comment clearly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Add South Africa or something like that to the list of N9 going to be on sale.

WTF!!! Nokia is giving all the people that support them the middle fingers. Nice going Nokia. Not even sure if I'm interested in importing it now.

I'm not touching a damn Nokia with WP7. I will bend over and learn to like Andriod. Heck... iOS if I have too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jn183 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Well it looks like we now got a new set of arguments to discuss hahaha.

N9 looks good, but I won't buy Nokia anymore based on their future M$ windoze direction... I have been buying Nokia since my first cell phone (5110), but it appears the n900 will be the end of the line for me.

So long Nokia, enjoy Balmer's butt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nermaljcat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nermaljcat View Post
N9 looks good, but I won't buy Nokia anymore based on their future M$ windoze direction... I have been buying Nokia since my first cell phone (5110), but it appears the n900 will be the end of the line for me.

So long Nokia, enjoy Balmer's butt.
Aaaaaand ANOTHER wave of people drop off the radar. So much for a good portable open-source friendly company to get behind... that was my ORIGINAL reason for being here. Feh.

To Elop: Suck it long, suck it hard... for all we know, you probably already do.

Anssi Vanjoki: “My hair stands on end” over Nokia’s fall

Vanjoki was a frontrunner for the Nokia CEO position after former chief Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo was ousted from the firm. However, the Nokia Board opted for ex-Microsoft exec Stephen Elop – who promptly led the company into the loving arms of Windows Phone 7 – and Vanjoki resigned, claiming “the time has come to seek new opportunities.”

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-03 at 04:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????